Sunday, October 17, 2010

Today's QOTD: October 17, 2010

"I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free. And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today. ‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A!" - Lee Greenwood (b.1942), Released in 1982 and Re-Released in October 2001, where it reached Number 16 on Billboard's Hot 100.

This is the final post for awhile having to do with Patriotism, Courage and Bravery.  When I was reading the various comments posted yesterday to SSgt. Barry Sadler's rendition of "The Ballad of the Green Berets," I was thinking about what I could write to bring this subject to a climatic end today, the day before the 5th Anniversary of my oldest Brother's death (Joseph Jonathan Cook (Jon) III).  While driving home from a day that held so many meetings and requirements for me to attend, I happened to channel surf Sirius Radio in my Expedition, and came across the recording of this song "Proud to be American."  Immediately, I began singing along with Mr. Greenwood, and knew that I found my final journal entry on this subject.

I am proud to be an American.  The current status of our Political Climate doesn't deter me in the least; in fact, it makes me more determined to stand on my own.  It wasn't America that turned it's back on me when I was downsized on 3/21/2008 after a very successful 28-Year run in Senior/Exec Management in Information Technology, but it was being an American that allowed me to REINVENT myself earlier this year when the realization that Executive (or any) IT Positions were no longer my future.  Where else in this chaotic world can you do this: restart your life with a career change where YOU become "The Man" instead of working for "The Man?"  (Actually, I work for "The Woman" as that "Woman" is my lovely wife who has been by my side for 32 years this coming Tuesday evening!)

War is not glamorous, nor is it pretty.  Hardly so; but it was necessary for us to gain our Freedom, and today of ALL DAYS is the 229th Anniversary of General Charles Cornwallis' Surrender in the Revolutionary War; the War that made all of this possible.  Courage and Bravery from the Revolutionary War and the subsequent Wars in our 234 years since the Declaration of Independence has allowed us to remain free.  Yes, Millions have died and sacrificed their lives for us, for War is not glamorous, nor should it ever be.  But, as long as the human race continues, so shall day-to-day conflict.  It's evident in the Bible, and it's evident today.  Brave and Courageous people die every day, and someday, it will be my turn.  Whether I am considered Brave and Courageous is not for me to decide, but I try to live my life standing up for those who have been wronged.  I have been vilified for doing so, but I am who I am (and as Popeye would say: "And that's all that I 'yam!").  As a 21-Year Veteran Leader of the Boy Scouts of America, I teach "my boys" nothing less.

In 16 days, we have the opportunity as a Free Nation to cast our vote in the Mid Term elections for our Representatives in Congress; all 435 Congressmen and one-third of our 100 Senators (6 year terms, one third every two years).  What other Nation has this distinction of being a REPUBLIC (not a Democracy, but a REPUBLIC)?  Defined as such as: a political system in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who can elect people to represent them; a form of government whose head of state is not a monarch; "the head of state in a republic is usually a president" (www.wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn).  We do this because we are Free, and we choose to defend that Freedom, whether popular or not - Patriots alike come to the aid of our Nation.  This transcends political parties, for we are NOT Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Tea Party Members, Libertarians, or any other members of a political party; we are AMERICANS!  Vote on November 2nd, and celebrate the fact that we live in the greatest Country history has ever known!

Proud to be American (Music and Lyrics by Lee Greenwood, ©1982)

If tomorrow all the things were gone I’d worked for all my life,
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife.
I’d thank my lucky stars to be living here today,
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American where as least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee,
across the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea,

From Detroit down to Houston and New York to LA,
Well, there’s pride in every American heart,
and it’s time to stand and say:

I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A

Think about it . . .

Yogi: 10/17/2010 11:04AM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment