Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Today's Very Special QOTD: October 19, 2010

‎"You are so beautiful, to me! You are so beautiful, to me, can't you see? You're everything I hoped for; you're everything that I need! You are so beautiful, to me!" - Joe Cocker (b.1944) "You are So Beautiful" - reached #5 on Billboard's Hot 100 Weekly Chart in 1975 and placed #65 on Billboard's Hot 100 for the Year of 1975; written by Billy Preston.

There's a reason why I used this song.  If you have followed all 40 of my previous posts, you will remember that I only fell in love twice in my life, and I'm not totally convinced that the first one was true love.  However, the 2nd and final time I fell in love was.  Let me explain . . .

Thirty-two years ago today, I was a Junior Broadcast Journalism Major at Northwest Missouri State University living at the Delta Sigma Phi House as their only Social Affiliate (perhaps ever), since I was an Active in Sigma Alpha Epsilon at Simpson College (NWMSU did not have an SAE Chapter, and still doesn't).  I was treated like an Active by my very special "Brothers," and later became an "Honorary Active" through DSP National with the blessing of SAE National.  I really didn't have time for relationships (thanks to my schedule at KXCV-KDLX on Campus and KNIM in Maryville), but I had dated my share of women at NW, and a couple of them are Facebook friends of mine.  However, since my experience with "love" at Simpson was an unpleasant experience and really shook my trust and faith in women, I'm afraid that once I thought I was getting too close to really falling in love at Maryville, I ended the relationship (and was somewhat of a heel in doing so).  Frankly, I was scared and didn't trust the opposite sex; again - thanks to my experience just two years prior.  I also had only nine dates in HS.

I was studying that night while we were having a Little Sister Rush Party downstairs, and I had a Broadcast Law Exam the next day with Attorney (and Dr.) Neu.  At 9:10PM, with the party beginning to liven up downstairs, I decided it was time to take a break as I began studying and re-studying my notes at 6PM that night (it was to be a fifteen minute break at most, although I was ready for the test).  I stopped by the pool table on the first floor to see what action was going on (I was a decent Eight-Ball player at the time and the IFC Runner-Up both in Spring 1978 and Fall 1978), but "Manny" Mancillas had the table under control, and I proceeded down to the basement.  I saw Rae Laflin, and he pointed to the bar where two girls were standing.  The clock above the bar read 9:12PM, and he told me he was going to ask one of them to dance.  At that time, the more petite of the two girls turned around and immediately caught my eye.  What beautiful blue eyes she had; she was absolutely gorgeous!  I said something like "Over my dead body" to Rae, and walked toward the Blue-Eyed Beauty that I just laid my eyes on.  She smiled as I was walking toward her, and I introduced myself.  She told me her name was Jill Mitchell, and that she was a Freshman from Bedford, Iowa.  I told her I was from Corning (only 22 miles apart and in the same Athletic Conference back then), and she knew the name, but we had never met.  I asked her to dance, and that began a full night of conversation.

The next day, I stopped by Franken Hall to see her, only to find out she was going home to work (her Father was the Hy-Vee Manager in Bedford).  I asked her for her address in Bedford (22 miles away) and asked her out for Saturday night.  She first said no, that I wouldn't show up, but my words were: "Just try me!"  She finally relented, and I told her that I would be at her house at 7PM.  That next night, I was there at 6:58PM, and met her Mom and Dad and her little Sister Melinda (then 7, now 39 - hard to believe!).  I got the usual 20 questions until the subject of Hy-Vee came up, and I told her Dad the list of relatives that were Hy-Vee Managers (19 of them, including my Dad from 1947-1952) past and present.  All of a sudden, I became his best friend!  Three days before Jill and I met, we buried my Grandfather Frank Ford Sr. in Indianola, Iowa (where Simpson is), and Jill's Dad was there, and so was I (I was a Pallbearer).  Her Dad also had delivered food to my Dad's store in the late '40's, so he knew Dad.  Jill and I didn't leave the house until 7:50PM, and she was not happy with her Father as we got off to a late start.

The night was spent in Clarinda at the Disco (after eating at A and G Pizza on the City Square), and we drove around.  I don't what it was about her, but something felt right - for I was already in love, and I told her so.  She thought I was crazy, but I told her it wasn't an act.  The next day, after she came back to Campus, I picked her up and we ate at Pagliai's Pizza in Maryville, and I told her again.  4 hours later, she told me as well.  There has never been anyone else since.

She stood beside me during our near-fatal accident on New Year's Day 1979 (the story is under the "info" tab on my Facebook Profile "http://www.facebook.com/YogiSAE,") and she never left my side.  I should have died in that crash (or be paralyzed from the neck down), but a fraction of an inch was on my side and God was telling me that it wasn't my time.  Even when I had post-traumatic syndrome several months after the accident (relating to the accident), she was there with me at every appointment I had with the Psychatrist at NW.   I had proposed to her directly after my mouth began healing and I was finally able to form AND speak words again (having to be re-taught - no nerve endings and the entire shape of my face changed from the nose to the chin - but I DID lose my lifelong lisp), and that was the first sentence (or question) that had come out of my mouth since right before the accident at 2:40PM on 1/1/79.  She accepted without hesitation.  We made it official on March 15, 1979 with a diamond ring (not a big one - it was all I could afford at the time), and we set a wedding date of May 24, 1980, only to change it about a month later to June 7, 1980 (May 24th happens to be Josh and Alisha's Anniversary - 5/24/2008).

Since I had been singing publicly since the age of 3, she asked me to sing to her during the Wedding.  The choice of song was to be mine.  I chose Billy Preston's "You Are So Beautiful" that had been made popular by Joe Cocker in 1975.  All during practice, I held my own without any issues.  Prior to the song (even though my Groomsmen painted "Help Me" on the bottom of my shoes - thank you Jim Peterson, Brad Dusenbery, Phil Kohrs and my Brother Joe, and to those who laughed out loud when we knelt at the altar after lighting the Unity Candle), I was calm - cooled and collected.  Not until I began singing, did I begin to cry.  Jill was crying, too - but I was able to get through it.  I understand that the majority of guests were in tears as well (so we were told).  I had sung at several weddings of friends prior to my own, so I guess I pulled it off (wasn't easy!).

Jill, this is dedicated to you - for 32 years ago - a VERY BEAUTIFUL BLUE-EYED GAL came into my life, and not only restored my faith in women, but also restored my faith in True Love; for I have only TRULY LOVED one woman, and you will be the only one I will ever TRULY LOVE.  Thank you for 32 great years, for being the Mother of our two wonderful sons, and the Grandmother of our darling Granddaughter - as well as the Mother-in-Law of our Lovely Daughter-in-Law!

I can't imagine life without you; may we have AT LEAST another 32 years together and many, many more!  I Love You more every day, and am proud to call you MY WIFE!  I love you, "My little Pixie!"

"You Are So Beautiful" - Recorded by Joe Cocker (1975)

You are so beautiful, to me
You are so beautiful, to me
Can't you see, you're everything I hoped for
You're everything that I need, you are so beautiful, to me

You are so beautiful, to me
You are so beautiful, to me
Can't you see, you're everything I hoped for
Everything that I need, you are so beautiful, to me



© Billy Preston and Bruce Carleton (1974)





Yogi: 10/19/2010 11:15AM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment