Thursday, October 7, 2010

Today's QOTD: October 7, 2010

"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril." - Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain (1874-1965)

When I was young and attending Elementary School in Corning, Iowa, we were taught at a very young age two very important traditions as American Citizens:  the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States of America, and to place your right hand over your heart when doing so.  In the event that we were wearing a hat, we were to remove the hat from our head with our right hand and place the hat over our heart.  If the National Anthem was played, we were also instructed to stand at attention without shoulders slouching, place the hand (or hat) over our heart, and remain standing AND REMAIN SILENT through the playing of the Star-Spangled Banner (unless you felt the urge to sing along).

Now some 47 years later (47 years ago this fall, I learned the above in Kindergarten), it seems that we as a nation are no longer united in this simple but sincere show of respect.  I have had the pleasure of being in the stands at all types of Athletic contests from Pee-Wee to the NFL, and I am appalled by what I see and hear just in those standing in front of me.  The wearing of hats during the National Anthem, the failure to place the hand over the heart, and talking during OUR song of freedom and inspiration; WHEN did this change?  When on the field as a part of the press pool of photographers, I often will stand with the athletes on the sidelines, and unless I am standing alone (which I try to do), I witness the same show of (simply put) disrespect to our Stars and Stripes.

I grew up in the 60's and the 70's, and I was subjected to radical celebrities and other notables about their disdain for our Nation, and the despicable treatment of our Veterans as they returned from Vietnam.  I didn't share their sentiment then, and I don't share their sentiment now.  Since when do we have to APOLOGIZE for being Americans and loyalists?  I happen to love our Country; sure - I've had it all, lost it all, built it back up, and lost it all again.  I'll rebuild and we'll be ok, but it's NOT America's fault, nor is it a commentary on our way of life!  I STILL BELIEVE that we live in the greatest land ever conceived in Liberty, with the greatest principles there are.  I also believe in the Capitalist System, which is what built this great land of ours.

I see this now in Congress; the attacks on the Tea Party Movement, the attacks from both sides of the political aisle aimed at the OTHER side, and the attacks on and complete disregard for our Constitution.  It is NOT an ever-changing and ever-evolving document; it can be changed through the Amendment process, approved by Congress and then ratified by 38 of the 50 States within 10 years from the time it has been approved by Congress to be sent to the States.  I am not a Republican, a Democrat, or a member of any Political Party; I am an AMERICAN, and that's what I will die as.

I believe it is shameful that we have gone so far that we now take what we have for granted.  It's time we stood up as a Nation and showed our respect for our Country, our forefathers, and for those who fought to keep us free.  We were a mere couple of days from being defeated in WW2 before we even had a chance to fight back when Pearl Harbor was attacked.  Had the Aircraft Carriers been docked in the Harbor (as they were just a few days prior), Historians and Military Experts both agree that we would have been struck a fatal blow.  Through Divine Providence, we made it through that crisis, and ultimately won and established ourselves as the example in the World.  By not showing respect during the Pledge of Allegiance or during the playing and singing of our National Anthem, we dishonor those who fought in both World Wars (and the wars before and after those great conflicts) that helped preserve our way of life.

Enough is enough.  Remember what we were taught when we very young, and let's bring back this tradition, for as Churchill so eloquently put it: "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation . . ."

Think about it . . .

Yogi: 10/7/2010 10:17AM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment