Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Today's QOTD: September 28, 2010

"The greatest wealth is health.” - Virgil, Roman Philosopher (70BC-1BC)

This is a perfect quote for me to use, as I have experienced both personal wealth and personal "poverty" as far as net worth is concerned.  However, now that I am 52 years young, I have realized that material wealth can be fleeting; you can earn it back almost as quickly as you lose it - but to have your health is the greatest gift you can ever provide yourself.

I've had both before - as an Athlete in High School and an Intramural Athlete in College, I've experienced low body fat (a low BMI), and I've also taken that for granted the older I got - to a BMI of 40, which is considered obese.  I finally learned 2 and a half months ago that God gave me this one body, and I can either take care of it, or I can destroy it; that was my two choices.  Up until July 14th of this year, because I had lost the other "wealth" in my life (our net worth due to 30+ months of unemployment), I was in the process of losing my other "wealth," my health.  It took a serious action on July 13th and a sleepless night that night (after gorging myself with 5000 calories or more) to realize that I was about to lose the battle of my other "wealth" - my health.  Thankfully, I woke up, and took corrective measures that day on the 14th.

Now, the other "wealth" will come back, but for as my health - I am in the bases shape I have ever been since I was in High School, with even better heart health, thanks to a heart rate of 60 beats/minute at rest, and a low blood pressure as well.  The tale of the tape is this:  296 miles of walking, 67 pounds lost (and more on the horizon), a BP of 111/68 (instead of HBP), and the heart rate at rest, as well as 7 and a half inches lost around my mid section - and my BMI?  29.8!  Am I in shape?  You bet your life!  Will I ever take my health for granted again?  Not likely.  I only have one body - and that is the greatest wealth that I can ever preserve and maintain - not only for me but for my family and friends (those in my life I love and hold dear), and I plan to do just that!  The other "wealth" will take care of itself in time - all I have to do is believe, and I DO BELIEVE!

Think about it . . .

Yogi (after an afternoon of contemplation on this QOTD):  9/28/2010  6:45PM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment