Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Today's QOTD: September 8, 2010

‎"A heart that loves is always young." - Greek Proverb

Having grown up in a very loving family, I look at my parents as role models and examples of today's QOTD.  Most of you who know me know that I am the youngest of 7 children; 5 born into the family, and 2 that were adopted through The Christian Home in Council Bluffs - one in 1966 and one 1968.  My parents had more than enough love in their heart to share with the world, let alone the 5 of us, and the love that they showered on the aforementioned 2 that became my brothers.  Not everything works out as it does in a fairy tale, as one of the 2 ended up being too old to change his ways.  However, the youngest of the 2 (Jeffrey Dennis "Jedd") turned out to be golden!

My parents lived into their 80's (Mom is still going strong, although significantly weakened by full-fledged Parkinson's Disease), and I believe that it was/is the love in their heart that helped extend their lives.  Lord knows they both had their heartaches, as all of my brothers have passed away with the exception of Jeffrey Dennis (Jim on April 24, 1975 from Leukemia (25), Joseph Darwin in January 2005 (53) from heart disease, and Joseph Jonathan Cook III on October 18, 2005 (60) from lung cancer), and that leaves 4 of us left: Joan, Jane, Jeffrey and me.  Any parent could have packed it in right there, as we believe that our children are supposed to outlive us, but that's not always God's Master Plan.  To talk with Mom today, she still does not sound like a woman about to turn 88 in December.

I am one of the lucky ones:  I came from a family that had more love than a heart could hold, and I have been married for 30 years to the kindest and most loving person I have ever met.  Both of our sons, Josh and Jordan, were taught at an early age to hold love in their heart and share their love, and they both have done Jill and I proud.  I always receive compliments on the two of them, and even though it may not show when I thank the person for the compliment, I am literally busting through the seams inside!  We both try to live the example of this love through the Boy Scouts of America and through the God and Country Program, as well as being volunteers for Oak Park High School and thorough the National Philanthropic Organization "Scouts Helping Scouts," in which I founded in 2007 in the wake of the Greensburg, Kansas EF-5 tornado (I serve as Managing Director and Founder).  Our experience thus far with Team National further accentuates the love that we believe in, as our Team Members (both hosted by us and fellow Team Members that we meet on a daily basis) truly love each other.  That's what makes Team National so different, and why we are very proud to be a part of that family and that environment.

So, how much love can a heart hold?  There are a lot of people I love, and I intend to live a long life.  I promised my Mother that I would live past 60 - and I sincerely hope that Jeffrey Dennis does as well, although he is battling heart disease and diabetes (it runs in the Reeves Family - where Joseph Darwin and Jeffrey were brothers before they were brothers in our family), so his odds aren't as good - but he has love in his heart.  To me, he will always be young, even though he turns 55 on October 2nd and is battling his ailments galliantly.  "Never give up, never surrender!"

"Love is a Many Splendored Thing" - recorded by The Four Aces (#1 on Billboard's Hot 100 in 1955) and the Ray Conniff Singers (late 1950's)

Love is a many-splendored thing,
It's the April rose that only grows in the early spring,
Love is nature's way of giving a reason to be living,
The golden crown that makes a man a king.
Once on a high and windy hill,
In the morning mist two lovers kissed and the world stood still,
Then your fingers touched my silent heart and taught it how to sing,
Yes, true love's a many-splendored thing.

Think about it . . .

As Always,

Yogi:  9/8/2010  8:00AM CDT

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is beautiful!! Love you lots!! Jill

    ReplyDelete