Thursday, September 9, 2010

Today's QOTD: September 9, 2010

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne, Legendary Actor (1907-1979)

Courage (and not the sign-off phrase that Dan Rather used for a few days in September 1985 when anchoring the CBS Evening News) is defined as: –noun; 1. the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.  2. Obsolete - the heart as the source of emotion. —Idiom;  3. have the courage of one's convictions, to act in accordance with one's beliefs, esp. in spite of criticism. (source: http://dictionary.reference.com)  I've had some dealings with this through the years, not only me personally, but our entire family.

Please note the following 2 examples:

Mom and Dad:  They had to develop instant Courage when my brother Jim (only 25), was diagnosed with Leukemia on December 27, 1974, and watch him wither away as he went downhill fast.  Dad received a call from the University of Iowa Med Center (3-West) at noon on April 24, 1975, telling him that we needed to come to Iowa City right away (210 mile trip).  Mom, the 7-12 Vocal Music Director at Corning High School, took me out of Self-Supervision immediately and we were on our way in less than 30 minutes (Jeff "Jedd" was at the Drake Relays with the Track Team).  When we arrived at 4:50 that afternoon, a nurse intercepted us as we were making our way to Jim's room, and all Mom asked was "He's gone - isn't he?"  The nurse replied "yes." (He had passed away at 2:45 with his wife by his side)  Mom collapsed, Dad started crying (one of 5 times I ever saw him cry), and we were ushered to a room to await the Doctor.  Those 5 minutes waiting for his Doctor seemed like an eternity, and Mom and Dad found the courage to keep their composure and listen to what the Doctor said had happened that day.  Mom would have to relive this 2 more times in 2005 (Dad had already passed away in 2002).  I'll never forget the courage that my parents had through all of this, as I was only 16 and my idol, my closest brother, had passed away.  I can't imagine having to bury one of my sons, let alone 3 of them.

Me:  Jill and I had a car crash on January 1, 1979; a very freak accident after a 10-inch snowfall with a 2-inch layer of ice underneath the snow. We were driving around looking at the winter wonderland in Bedford, Iowa (her hometown), and we came to Highway 48, which had been closed but the road closed signs were pushed to the side, and we had been told that the road had reopened.  There was a huge snowdrift down the road about a half mile, so I drove my 1977 White Pinto at 35mph to get through the snow.  The only problem was that there was no highway under the snowdrift, and we dropped a foot and a half.  I slammed on the brakes, only to skid and abruptly hit where the highway resumed (a foot and a half higher).  Not wearing a seat belt at the time, the lower part of my face hit the steering wheel and broke it in two, and changed my facial features forever. Six dental surgeries and three plastic surgeries in 15 months has left me with permanent bridgework, a flatter face from the nose down, and no nerve endings in my cheeks and mouth, except for my lips and tongue. I shouldn't be alive - a fraction of an inch either way would have completely broken my neck and severed my spinal cord. I learned that day to never take life for granted, EVER. I also learned to NEVER GIVE UP, as it would have been so easy to do. I had all of this work done while being on the air co-anchoring the nightly news on KXCV-FM and finishing the final 16 months of college. I had to learn to talk and form words all over again (like a toddler), and do it in less than 20 days (because the swelling didn't start subsiding until after the first 10 days). This has defined who I am, and should answer any of my friends' questions regarding my tenacity. It was also a sign from God who the Love of my Life would be, as Jill and I had only been dating for less than 3 months, and she stood beside me the entire ordeal. The "Phantom of the Opera" was better looking than I was right after the accident, yet she stood by her man (my mouth resembled raw hamburger for about 10 days). The accident left her with an injured back that she still has to deal with today (and yes, we have always worn our seatbelts from that day forward).

Now, in two days, we mark the 9th Anniversary of the tragic events of September 11, 2001.  The above indicates Courage in two different examples, but pales in comparison to the Courage shown by the members of the NYFD, the NYPD and the Port Authority as they tried to rescue those trapped in the twin towers, knowing they would not likely survive the rescue mission.  Yet, they "saddled up" and faced their fears, and paid the ultimate sacrifice.  Not only do we pay homage to the victims of 9/11, but we pay homage and remember those courageous public servants that laid it all on the line to save human lives, and paid the ultimate price.  This Blog is dedicated to them.  My courage is miniscule compared to theirs.

"Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you." - Deuteronomy 31:6

Think about it . . .

God Bless all of you!

Yogi: 9/9/2010  8:09AM

No comments:

Post a Comment