Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Today's QOTD: September 7, 2010

"I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country." - Nathan Hale, American Revoutionary (9/22/1776)

Bill O'Reilly has a new book forthcoming (next Monday) called "Pinheads and Patriots: Where You Stand in the Age of Obama."  Bill has certainly made the phrase a household term, and politics aside, it's time we examine the true origins of the two words.  "Patriot" was a term that defined a Revolutionary War combatant or sympathizer to the Independence cause back in the 1770's and after.  "Pinhead" has a much more diverse background, going back to 1655 as the 1). head of a pin, 2). something very small or insignificant, or 3). a nitwit or unintelligent person.  Obviously, O'Reilly focuses on the third definition.  Moreover, in March 1971, the comic book character "Zippy the Pinhead" made it's debut in "Real Pulp Comix #1."  The comic strip can still be found within the comic pages of the Kansas City Star, much to the chagrin of many subscribers - and yes, Zippy is DEFINITELY a Pinhead, but then - he's supposed to be.

So what's my point, and why did I select this?  I believe that this is "Patriot Week," as we come up to the 9th Anniversary of the 2nd worst attack on American soil (2nd only to Pearl Harbor).  The NYFD and NYPD BOTH climbed those stairs in the twin towers facing certain death, yet not only were they heroes; they were Patriots.  At a time that we should be honoring those who lost their lives and those who sacrificed their lives to save others, it's time we place politics aside and try to heal as a Nation, for I fear that we haven't done that yet.  Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news that morning?  I certainly do.  I was driving to work and I saw a large crowd of people at the corner a block from my house listening to a portable radio. I stopped and asked them what they were doing, and heard the awful news and immdiately tuned in just in time to hear that the 2nd tower being hit.  See, I had ignored the CNN Breaking News and Fox Breaking News coming into my email inbox on a minute by minute basis that morning; I had work to do.  When I arrived at work at Computer Source in Lenexa, KS,  the break room turned into a memorial room with the TV constantly giving updates.  There were no phone calls coming in.  Eric Bereuter, son of former Nebraska Congressman Doug Bereuter (1st District), was frantic trying to get a phone call to make sure his Dad was ok when the Pentagon was hit.  Congressman Bereuter was at the Pentagon for an Intelligence/Defense Briefing when the attack happened.  He was unharmed (several layers deep within the Pentagon, but Eric did not get the news until 4:45 that afternoon.  The only phone call I received that day was from an IT and Accounting Provider (a very good customer of mine) for Cantor Fitzgerald who needed 500 IBM notebook Thinkpads in 2 days for the company to operate in a makeshift environment. We witnessed Patriots in action.  We also witnessed Pinheads in action: the gas station owners that immediately raised the price of a gallon of unleaded regular from $1.22 to $4.99 - especially on the corner of Nieman Road and 75th Street in Lenexa.  They got theirs later on, as I took a photo of the signs with my camera (always with me at all times - that's from being a Professional Photog for so long), and I emailed it to the Kansas State Attorney General and Channel 4 news.

For those of us who are older, we remember the day and the time we heard of the Columbia burning up in re-entry on February 1, 2003 (it was minutes before the 10th Annual North Star District Pinewood Derby began), the Challenger Explosion on January 28, 1986, and President Kennedy's Assasination on November 22, 1963 (I was in Kindergarten, but was home - and I remember it like yesterday, also remembering the live coverage of Jack Ruby mortally wounding Lee Harvey Oswald the next evening).  For those of you who are older, you remember where you were and what you were doing when the news of the attack on Pearl Harbor was announced (my Mom turned 19 on the day that Congress declared War "The Day which will live in infamy" - which was also the day that Dad was given a huge send-off by his friends and Fraternity Brothers), just as you remember the news on V-E Day (Victory in Europe Day - May 8, 1945), and V-J Day (Victory in Japan Day - August 14, 1945 and again on September 2, 1945 on the deck of the USS Missouri after the formal and uncoditional surrender documents were signed by Emperor Hirohito).

So, this week of all weeks, let's focus on our Patriots, just as we do every year around Independence Day.  They deserve no less credit for what they have done for America; preserving our freedom, and placing their lives on the line day in and day out.  Finally, let's not forget those serving in Afghanistan and around the world.  They need our prayers, support and love more than ever.

I believe I'm a Patriot - how about you?  Nathan Hale was one, and I know the USA is full of them.  This is officially "Patriot Week" in the Cook Household.  Who will join me?

Think about it . . . and God Bless America!

Yogi:  9/7/2010  9:28AM CDT

No comments:

Post a Comment